Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Psychology of Blogging


I have a few insecurities.

I know, I know - You find that hard to believe from a opinionated but anonymous complainer like me, for example, too chicken to leave her real name or address, and obsessed over her site pic -- but it's true.

So imagine my pain when a friend mentioned reading one of my blogs, agreeing with it, but then deciding not to leave the comment 'good one!' (--apparently the temptation to comment 'you're brilliant! and sooo funny. I wish more people were like you!' did not exist. -- but I'm not going to second guess it. No.) (No. Don't be silly.)

(Am ready to quit the blogging business, get my overdue chin-lift, and sew oven mitts in a closet.)

Well anyway, since my conversation with her I feel it imperative I say -- that actually, yes, I need positive feedback. I need it like fleas need dogs. Yes, to leaving nice comments. Goody for compliments. If you can't say anything nice - don't say anything at all.
. . . . . Well alright, truth be told, anything commented will do. -- I mean I suppose either way I am getting attention, right? And isn't that what it's all about?

As I think about it more, even if someone were to leave the post 'that was a bad read' -- I could still make it work for my ego. I would first, mentally block out the rejection and judgment - and second, become like a comment hacker, you know? Hacking into the negative comments and playing around with them 'til they came out leaving me less self-loathing. I could play around with the word 'bad' for instance, like a tatoo artist does . . . and change it into a beautiful twirly flower, or a new word altogether, like, baa . . boodylicious. Or something.


Okay. What I'm trying to say, is I don't really care. Read my blogs, or don't. Comment, or don't. Love me or Hate me -- it doesn't matter.

Strike that. It does matter.
Love me, love me.

Forget that. It doesn't matter.



**she says, blinking a twitch kind of blinking**

1 comment:

Shauna said...

You are brilliant and sooo funny. I wish there were more people like you. . . and I mean that!